Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tasting- Ravenswood Zinfandel


Name: Ravenswood Zinfandel
Variety: Zinfandel
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $7.99
Wine Critic Review: 'Ravenswood wines are big and unapologetic.  Our Zin is a robust red, brimming with mouthwatering flavors of spicy ripe raspberry, cherry, and boysenberry.'
My Review: With the first taste this wine had a very hot and alcoholic taste.  I was able to taste the cherry like the wine critic review mentioned.  I also tasted plum, dried apricot, and dried fruit.  This was a strong, full-bodied wine with a bit of a kick.  I drank this wine with pork chops at dinner.  Drinking the wine with a meat dish took away a lot of the unpleasant hotness and strong alcoholic flavor.  It mellowed the strong wine out and made it a lot more enjoyable.  I did not like this wine at first, but it grew on me when I drank it with a meal.  I liked this wine, but am curious to try other zinfandels as well. *Note- this is the first wine I had that had "old vines" listed on the label

No comments:

Post a Comment